Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fitting it all in

As a response to my buddy Bridget's comment, I'm going to write a bit about fitting everything in. Basically, it's not always possible.

For instance, I didn't work out today, because our nanny has the flu, and my husband, Steve, stayed home with our son. That means I'm on duty in the morning and in the evening. We have an elliptical machine in front of a little television, which is awesome. I use it all the time. In fact, I watched the entire library of "The Shield," "The Wire" and a season of "Breaking Bad" while pedaling in place. I have weights, a Bosu and a yoga ball. But tonight, after getting my son down for bed, instead of hopping on for a level 12 hill workout with the third episode of "Glee," I had to edit a story and drink a glass of wine. Well, probably not that last part. Did I mention I'm also eating ice cream?

It's not always possible to fit it all in. My life is scheduled to the hilt, and when you have a kid, you have to be willing to chuck your plans if he or she gets sick, or was up half the night with nightmares, or you've got a bout of insomnia that came out of nowhere. It sucks. I get grouchy about it. But luckily, I have an awesome spouse who knows that if I don't get to work out at least five days a week, I'm as ill-tempered as Dick Cheney.

But other than having a piece of exercise equipment in my home and a fantastic husband, I also have to be willing to go for a run whenever I can. That means rousing before the sun rises and strapping on a headlamp and a blinking vest so distracted drivers don't mow me down on the parkway. That means keeping a packed gym bag in my car, just in case I only have an hour for a workout. That means being inflexible when people try to encroach upon my workout time.

That's a hard one, I know. I'm a mom, and a pleaser by nature. I can totally see how moms fall into the trap of putting themselves last. I spend all day pining for my son. Choosing to do a run after work instead of spending that time with him feels selfish.

But is it? Your child needs to see that you take care of yourself -- that you shower, you exercise, you eat a balanced diet. Modeling is the most powerful way to parent. And I'm taking that to heart.

I remember reading something totally asinine that our former president said (and no, I'm not just saying this because I'm a Democrat). He was profiled in "Runner's World" back when he was still in the White House. When asked about making time to exercise, he said: "If the President of the United States can make the time, anyone can."

Please. When was the last time the president had to stand in line at the post office? Or call and set up a babysitter for Saturday night? Or stay on hold for 15 minutes with his insurance company? Making time for exercise is HARD. I know it is. So I get up early, I make deals with my husband and I just make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment